4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 1:49 PM by Intel Corporation

New system with both 900p system drive and 800p cache drive

Japple

I just setup a new system using the 900p PCIe card as the boot drive. This went off without a hitch. I also purchased a 60gb 800p m2 optane drive as a cache for a 3TB secondary HDD. However, when I attempt to run "SetupOptaneMemory.exe" to install the software to enable the 800p as a cache drive, I'm given this error: "Intel Optane Memory does not support system installed on PCIe disk." Which is fine, because I'm not trying to use the 900p as a cache, that's just for the system drive, but the software won't let me pick or choose or really do anything, just throws up that error message and closes out of the installer.

How do I actually install the optane software???

for reference I have the above SSDs and am using an aorus master z390 mobo.

• 1. Re: New system with both 900p system drive and 800p cache drive
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Japple,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance regarding Intel® Optane™ acceleration. If we infer correctly please review the information below:

The file that you are making reference to “SetupOptaneMemory.exe” is part of the software designed to accelerate slow SATA drives using the Intel® Optane™ Memory hardware and not the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series, the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series is designed to be used as an storage device and not as a system accelerator as the Intel® Optane™ Memory Series that are the ones supported, tested and validated for this purpose.

This being said in order to use the Optane memory software to accelerate a SATA drive you need an Intel® Optane™ Memory hardware and the error you are receiving is expected based in your current configuration.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
          Intel® Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: New system with both 900p system drive and 800p cache drive
            Japple

Lots of review sites used the 800p as a cache drive (i can include links if you want, but you can just search "800p cache"). The sites specifically mention that the optane software works with it. My problem is that the optane software REFUSES to install, because I have a 900p as my system drive. I have a suspicion that if I were to remove the 900p, reinstall windows on a SATA and then attempt to install the optane software it would install without issue.

The website lists current optane software as "under maintenance" for installation issues. Is this one of those installation issues? If the review sites are flat-out lying I'll be returning the 800p, but it seems to me that this is a software installation problem.

• 3. Re: New system with both 900p system drive and 800p cache drive
              Japple

I went ahead and removed the 900p. I installed windows on another SSD I had laying about. Guess what? SetupOptaneMemory.exe ran without a problem, and accelerated my secondary 3TB HDD with the 800p with absolutely no issues. So the issue is that the software is too stupid to ignore a 900p as a system drive? It literally won't install itself if the 900p is being used as an SSD even though I'm trying to install the software for the 800p.

The 800p and 900p are incompatible with each other because of software? Which should I send back to amazon as defective (800 or 900?)

• 4. Re: New system with both 900p system drive and 800p cache drive
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Japple,

Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned in our previous post. The file that you are making reference to “SetupOptaneMemory.exe” is part of the software designed to accelerate slow SATA drives using the Intel® Optane™ Memory hardware and not the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series, the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series is designed to be used as an storage device and not as a system accelerator as the Intel® Optane™ Memory Series that are the ones supported, tested and validated for this purpose.
                Additionally, the usage of the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series to accelerate a SATA drive can void the warranty of your product.

If you are trying to accelerate your system using Optane we advise you to use the RST software that is available on our website.

To answer your questions:

The 800p and 900p are incompatible with each other because of software? Which should I send back to Amazon as defective (800 or 900?)

Please take into consideration that you cannot accelerate an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series with the Optane memory since it is not a slow SATA drive. For further information regarding the basic requirements for Optane please visit the Frequently Asked Questions about Installation and Configuration for Intel® Optane™ Memory. Since your current configuration it is not supported, tested or validated by Intel® and it is expected to experience these kinds of errors are expected.

Based on the information you shared the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series and the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series seem to be working properly as storage devices. That is the designed purpose of this drives.

This being said we recommend you not to use the Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P to accelerate your HDD.

Please note that for your board to support secondary/data drive acceleration a firmware update is required from your motherboard original equipment manufacturer (OEM). This based on the Software and Platform Support for Intel® Optane™ Memory and we recommend you to contact your motherboard OEM to get further assistance about the BIOS configuration and on how to update your BIOS version.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                Intel® Customer Support Technician
                Under Contract to Intel Corporation