7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 10:11 AM by Intel Corporation

Memory Failures

divram

Hello,

A Gen 3 I7 I7-3612QE design is failing DDR3 access and we are getting "MRC  read training failed status 1h" as reported by the BIOS. The memory, I7, etc lay are all copied in this design from a proven working design - Both schematics and layout. Is there any further advice on how to troubleshoot further? I am attaching a few failure logs on 3 boards which exhibit the same failure. I am also attaching a working SPD file from a known design from which this design is copied.

Thanks,

regards,

Divakar

• 1. Re: Memory Failures
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello divram,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

First, I would like to know where the processor is inserted, in other words, I would like to know the model of your system as well as the model of the motherboard of the system. Please let me know so I can assist you further. 

Regards,
          David V

Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Memory Failures
            divram

Thanks for your response.

The I7 processor is soldered to the Motherboard as this is a mobile embedded application developed my company so it is a custom application. So are the memory ICs Micron MT41K1G8RKB-107. We have soldered 9 DDR ICs to form one bank of 8 GB. LIke that there is one more bank of 8 GB so total is 16 GB. You can assume these soldered down ICs behave like a DIMM because it has been tested in our previous design and they work. The companion PCH to the I7 is BD82QM77 PANTHER.

• 3. Re: Memory Failures
              Intel Corporation

Hello divram,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify the information, now, according to the details you have provided me I would like to mention that support like this for design and implementation is given in our Intel ® Resource & Design Center or else in our Intel ® Developer's Zone. The links are below: 

Intel ® Resource & Design Center

Intel ® Developer Zone

You will find the assistance you need with your implementation and design in the sites mentioned above.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: Memory Failures
                divram

Thanks,

I can't find a place to post my questions in those links. What I really need is Engineering support. Can you find me one?

Thanks,

Divakar

• 5. Re: Memory Failures
                  Intel Corporation

Hello divram,

In the link I provided for the Intel ® Developer's Zone there is a forum where you can sign in and post the question. Also, in the resource & design center you would need to register first in order to see the options.

Regards,
                  David V

• 6. Re: Memory Failures
                    divram

I tried in the developer zone but there are so many options none related to what I looking for. How can I can I post a question there without entering a forum

• 7. Re: Memory Failures
                      Intel Corporation

Hello divram,

In this case, you would need to start a new discussion or create a new post about it. If you need to get in contact with an engineer then you can refer to a field application engineer which normally companies have them as contacts. If you do not have one or can reach one like that, you must go to an Intel ® Authorized Distributor and they will get you in contact with one.

Please refer to the link below for information of the Intel ® Authorized Distributors: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Regards,
                      David V