4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 11:38 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Management Engine failure

lister.of.smeg

I have received a replacement motherboard P8Z77-V Premium which I purchased to replace the same model which had broken SATA ports. Everything seemed okay at first but after updating the bios the Management Engine as shown in the bios shows Version: marked N/A CPU Speed N/A Memory Frequency N/A.

I have attempted to install the Intel Management Engine but none will install, when I do so the applications show "This computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the software". That means that I cannot run the Intel Management Engine Firmware update utility because  it requires the Management Engine driver. This seems to be due to a problem with the IME firmware. I have tried installing and running Intel ME FW Recovery Agent which does install but fails to check for any updates, claiming that there could be an internet connection problem which there is not.

Unfortunately I did not notice before doing the Bios update whether the IME display in the Bios was showing N/A like it is now. I have never experienced this with my other identical motherboard, I regret missing that.

I have tried reflashing the Bios again with a previous version which did not correct the problem. It looks like the ME firmware might be corrupt or something.

How can I fix this? A Dos ME firmware flash might be what is needed. Any directions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Intel Management Engine failure
          lister.of.smeg

OS is Windows 7 x64 SP1

MEI_allOS_5.0M_8.1.40.1416

Current motherboard Bios is 2104 and also tried 1805 both of which worked on my other motherboard. Presumably the Management Engine firmware is stored separately from the motherboard Bios.

What does the 5.0M and 1.5M mean?  I have also seen a 1.5M version for the IME firmware.

• 2. Re: Intel Management Engine failure
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello lister.of.smeg

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

Intel® management engine is a feature that has to be supported by the Intel® CPU, motherboard and BIOS; the driver for the system is provided by the motherboard manufacturer (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PREMIUM/HelpDesk_Download/), in this case, if all of the drivers provided by the manufacturer that are compatible with the operating system that you are ruing can be installed on the system and if this started happening after a BIOS update on the system I would recommend reporting this behavior with the motherboard manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
            Leonardo C.
            Intel Customer Support Technician
            Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 3. Re: Intel Management Engine failure
              lister.of.smeg

Thanks for your reply Leonardo C.

Unfortunately it does not help resolve the situation. I do not know whether this occurred after a Bios update or whether the problem was present before that. I did not notice it initially when I first started after re-building the PC.

I now have two of these motherboards and both are out of warranty with Asus therefore Asus will not help which means that I must fix it myself. My first motherboard has a working Management Engine (ME) but the SATA ports are broken which is why I purchased a replacement motherboard which became available because I have a i7-3770K, heatsink and 16GB of memory. This was not inexpensive but easier than getting the motherboard fixed because spare parts would of needed to be scavenged seeing as Intel no longer makes the chipset.

I doubt that my bios update caused the problem because I do not think that a bios update can affect the ME firmware. I could be mistaken but I do not think that the ME firmware is stored in the system bios. No bios updates on my other motherboard affected the ME firmware. I do have the final Windows Asus ME firmware update package and the firmware is 1.5MB so it looks like I need a 1.5MB firmware rather than the 5MB versions. The Asus firmware update from 8.0 to 8.1 will not complete, it states that it needs the ME driver installed in order to function and that will not install with what I assume is a corrupt ME firmware. Therefore at least in Windows there does not seem to be a way to recover the ME firmware.

1/ Where is the ME firmware stored? Is it in the system bios or is it somewhere else?

2/ Is there any way to diagnose this to work out what is causing it? Could the ME firmware be corrupt?

Inside the Bios, the CPU frequency, ME version and memory frequency are all showing as N/A.

3/ Is there any way of restoring the ME firmware? I have now attempted to install MEI_allOS_1.5M_8.1.40.1416 rather than the 5M version which I tried previously but that will not install either.

I have uninstalled the original Firmware Recovery Agent and installed the one from the 1.5M package but that does the exact same thing, it claims that it cannot access the internet but I do not think that is true because there is no attempt to do so. The msi file is identical and therefore the result would be the same. Everything seems to depend upon the ME driver and without a working ME that will not install. A classic chicken and egg situation.

4/ Can the ME firmware be flashed from DOS? If I could get a working ME firmware installed then updates inside Windows will probably work. Are there any DOS ME flash tools available?

• 4. Re: Intel Management Engine failure
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello lister.of.smeg

Thank you for the information.

• I would like to verify if besides changing the motherboard on the system configuration what there any other hardware changes? If there were changes please provide me with the model of the hardware parts that were changed.
                • What is the model of the old motherboard?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
                Leonardo C.
                Intel Customer Support Technician
                Under Contract to Intel Corporation