3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 10:31 AM by Intel Corporation

hi,  I have this error 0xa0050055 and it appears as a hard disk of 16 GB in the disk manager, so I can not activate optane

O.i.O.Q.

I have this error 0xa0050055 and it appears as a hard disk of 16 GB in the disk manager, so I can not activate optane, thanks!!! I only have one SSD, Acer Nitro 5 i5 8300

• 1. Re: hi,  I have this error 0xa0050055 and it appears as a hard disk of 16 GB in the disk manager, so I can not activate optane
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi O.i.O.Q.

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I was investigating about the error code 0xA0050055 and I found two possible scenarios, however I’m thinking that the second one is the root cause of this error.

Scenario 1

The primary drive is not partitioned correctly. It may be possible that you are missing a 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive which is required for the module to work properly. However, when this happens, the error code is usually different so I don’t think this scenario is the one that you are actually facing, but I wanted to share it with you anyways.

Scenario 2

Your BIOS and system are not compatible with the Intel® Optane™ Memory. There were some community treads where users discussed about this error code (for example https://communities.intel.com/message/560336#560336) and the conclusion is that their BIOS doesn’t support the module so it’s not possible to configure it. Considering this information, I investigated about your laptop model in the following site https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/nitro5, and it turns out that the only model of Nitro 5 laptops that supports the module is the AN515-53-70AQ. The model that you have is AN515-52 which doesn’t support the module, so that’s the reason why I’m thinking this is your scenario.

Having said this, I would contact Acer* for confirmation if your laptop model supports the module. If it does, then they should be able to help you configuring the system because it may be required to update the BIOS version.

I hope you find this information useful.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
          Diego V.
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: hi,  I have this error 0xa0050055 and it appears as a hard disk of 16 GB in the disk manager, so I can not activate optane
            O.i.O.Q.

Hi Diego thanks for your answer, my laptop came with Optane activated. What I did was to change the normal disk of 1 tb for one of solid state, but when I changed the disk (Clone) , this error started, I updated all the drivers, and windows and even then Not WORK, thanks for your time.

Quedo muy atento a su respuesta, y nuevamente gracias por el buen servicio. Adjunto algunas capturas de pantalla para futuras referencias.

• 3. Re: hi,  I have this error 0xa0050055 and it appears as a hard disk of 16 GB in the disk manager, so I can not activate optane
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi O.i.O.Q.,

Thank you for the clarification and the screenshots.

If that’s the case, then my suggestion would be to contact Acer* to get help configuring the module again. Laptops that are Optane™ compatible usually come with the module enabled and running, however doing any system change may affect the functionality, like changing the primary drive.

Laptops are not like desktop computers, and they may include special features at BIOS and OS level that we are not aware of, that’s why we always recommend to contact the manufacturer when the system is a laptop, especially if the module came up and running from the very beginning. It’s not recommendable to perform any system change without contacting them first.

In general, when you change the drive, you have to disable the module first from the application. It’s preferable to have a clean OS installation in the new drive if you are going to accelerate this new drive. However, since you are using a laptop that came with the module enabled, it may be possible that there is something else you are missing from BIOS or maybe from the OS. It may be possible that the new drive is not compatible in the same way the original drive was. Anyhow, I’m just thinking of all possibilities that may be affecting your system with the change you did.

Please contact the manufacturer so they can help you and provide you a better assistance on configuring the laptop.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
              Diego V.
              Intel Customer Support Technician
              Under Contract to Intel Corporation