5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 5:18 PM by Yapua

DH77EB won't booth with RX 580 Graphics card installed, boots fine with 660 ti.

Yapua

DH77EB won't boot with RX 580 Graphics card installed, boots fine with 660 ti. Will updating the bios to version 103 fix this?

I can't do so with the windows installer, it says I have an unsupported legacy bios. I seem to be currently running version 53.
      I've read that despite the fact that PCI-E 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, it doesn't always work, and sometimes a bios update can fix it. I want to know if it's more likely a bios issue or a DoA video card.

I am also somewhat concerned that if I force the update by booting off of CD/USB I might brick my motherboard and then have no computer.

• 1. Re: DH77EB won't booth with RX 580 Graphics card installed, boots fine with 660 ti.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, the Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB is under status of: End Of Interactive Support.
          As an option you may want to try our Discontinued Products Community to get recommendations from fellow community members.:
          https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/discontinued-products
          Or you may also find the Discontinued Products Website helpful to address your request:
          https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

Regards,
          Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: DH77EB won't booth with RX 580 Graphics card installed, boots fine with 660 ti.
            N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, many modern graphics cards have been found to be incompatible with older motherboards like this. There are two major issues, backwards compatibility of solutions with PCIe 3.0 and forward compatibility with exclusively UEFI-based Video BIOS ROMs on some cards. To check for the second possibility, try enabling UEFI on the Desktop Board (this will require running BIOS with a compatible board, changing the setting in BIOS (and properly saving and exiting BIOS Setup) and then replacing with the failing card to see if it works.

Well, a *lot* happened between BIOS 53 and BIOS 103. It is possible that, in amongst that large set of changes, one was made that alleviates the incompatibility. You will only know by going through the upgrade process. Note that you should not try to jump from 53 all the way to 103; you should upgrade in steps. I suggest you upgrade to BIOS 71, then BIOS 93 and then BIOS 103. Once all of this is completed, I also suggest that you do the following:

1. In the BIOS POST following the final update, press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
            2. Press F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
            3. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save the default configuration and reboot.
            4. During the subsequent BIOS POST, again press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
            5. Make any changes (Boot Order, etc.) in the BIOS Configuration that you absolutely require/desire.
            6. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save the default configuration and reboot.
            7. Power off, install and try booting with errant card.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: DH77EB won't booth with RX 580 Graphics card installed, boots fine with 660 ti.
              Yapua

Motherboard has an option to update the bios by pressing F7 during boot. It then lets me navigate to wherever I am storing the *.bio files; however, it freezes after I confirm that I wish to update using the bios file in question. It did this for 71, 62, and 103 before I decided it probably isn't the target version of the bios that is the problem. It remains frozen until I tap the power button (I do not have to hold it in) at which point it immediately shuts down, then I can power it on and see that I am still running version 53.

This is also how it behaves with the new video card, except there is a black screen instead of a frozen screen, They both freeze in a manner where the motherboard just shuts off the computer immediately (as though I'd hit the power button while at the boot menu, no OS running). At this point I'm going to go through with an RMA of my video card and if the second one doesn't work, assume it is indeed an incompatibility (verify by finding which of my friends has similar hardware and swap cards with them to see who the problem follows) and then probably build a new computer around the non-refundable video card.

Side note: I don't think I even made any changes to the default configuration for my motherboard, other than my one attempt to run my 1600 MHz ram at 1600 MHz (when I bought it, the description I was reading said it would run ram at 1600 MHz, but only with 3rd gen processors <Ivy Bridge>, which is what I have) only to revert back to 1333 MHz because it was causing crashes.

• 4. Re: DH77EB won't booth with RX 580 Graphics card installed, boots fine with 660 ti.
                N.Scott.Pearson

When you power on the system with the card installed, what happens? Do you see the power LED flash? Do you hear a beep pattern? You do have the monitor connected to this card, not the board, right?

With the old card present (or the monitor connected to the board itself), if you see a lockup immediately after selecting the .BIO file, the typical reason is because the existing BIOS is having an issue with the memory. In this case, disable the XMP profile and configure the BIOS for defaults (1333 memory).

Another alternative is to try installing the next BIOS (62, for example) using the BIOS Recovery method.

...S

• 5. Re: DH77EB won't booth with RX 580 Graphics card installed, boots fine with 660 ti.
                  Yapua

The fans turn on, and that is about it. No beeps, no video.

Old video card works fine, I am using it right now.

Bios freezes when it tries to update using the F7 option, and I'm concerned that if I try to force it I'm going to have no computer. Also in the list of updates none of them specifically mentions adding compatibility for PCI-E 3.0 cards that I could see.

I've already sent the new card off for replacement, if the problem persists on a replacement I'll do more research into possible compatibility problems and their solutions.

RAM has been running at 1333, the default the board wanted in the beginning, because my attempts to run at the RAM modules' speed of 1600 was causing crashes.