6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 5:13 PM by Intel Corporation

Windows 10 BSOD iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

darh

I am getting repeated, and random, BSOD crashes on my Windows 10 (10.0.17134) Dell Precision Tower 7810 with iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, address iaStorB.sys+67218, version 4.6.0.1048. I've checked for driver updates, updated the BIOS, and passed all of the following tests: Memory Diagnostic, Windows Defender Security Center device performance & health, Dell SupportAssist, and Dell Diagnostics.

Dell Support's only suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall the Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology. I downloaded and ran Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Driver_MYJ0N_WIN_4.6.0.1048_A01.EXE from the Dell site (https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=MYJ0N) without uninstalling the drivers first, it did not resolve the problem.

I fear that uninstalling the driver will render my system useless, and I’ll have to recreate from scratch.

Is uninstalling the driver safe? Or can you recommend a better solution to this problem?

• 1. Re: Windows 10 BSOD iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Darh,

Uninstalling the driver should not affect the operating system; however, we do recommend contacting Dell technical support so they can assist you in creating a backup on your system before uninstalling the driver.

Additionally, you can try newer versions of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Best regards,
          Sergio S.
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Windows 10 BSOD iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
            Intel Corporation

Hello darh,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

Our recommendation is that before processing any software or hardware change in your system to create a verified backup of all your information.

After the backup we advise you to use the drivers provided by Dell* for RSTe if those drivers does not work feel free to try the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) AHCI and SCU Software RAID Driver for Windows* (please, notice that this driver is a generic driver and it may or may not work with your Dell PC, this due to modifications made by the manufacturer to this software)

We hope you find this information helpful. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again

Best regards,

Josh B.
            Intel® Customer Support Technician

• 3. Re: Windows 10 BSOD iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
              darh

I can't get it to uninstall. I've tried twice. First process was:

• Device manager --> Storage Controllers --> Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset sSATA AHCI Controller --> Uninstall device
              • Did not change Storage Controllers --> Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller. iaStorA.sys is listed under driver file details, it's iaStorB.sys that's crashing.
              • Reboot
              • iaStorA.sys and iaStorB.sys are still listed in the active driver list, using DriverView by nirsoft.

Had 2 BSOD about 24 hours later.

Second process:

• Device manager --> Storage Controllers --> Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset sSATA AHCI Controller --> Update Driver
              • Chose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", selected Standard SATA AHCI Controller
              • Did not change Storage Controllers --> Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller
              • Reboot
              • Storage controllers now listed as Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller,  Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller, and Standard NVM Express Controller
              • iaStorA.sys and iaStorB.sys are still listed in the active driver list, using DriverView by nirsoft.

I don't yet know if the second process will fix the BSOD problem or not. I can go 3-4 weeks without a BSOD, then have as many in a single day.

• 4. Re: Windows 10 BSOD iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
                Intel Corporation

Hello darh,

Thank you for your reply.

We recommend you to contact Dell in order to get instructions on how to set up the latest version of the RSTe driver available at their website and to check if there is any known issue related to your system.

Seems to be that the driver that you are using at the moment is the Microsoft* version and it may limit the options available or cause unknown errors.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                Intel® Customer Support Technician

• 5. Re: Windows 10 BSOD iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
                  darh

I have contacted Dell, they aren't that helpful, which is why I turned to this forum.

I've copied their instructions, below. The uninstall does not uninstall.

Dell's next step would be to reinstall Windows 10. That's not a good option.

Dell said:

Uninstall and reinstall the Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology
                  To uninstall, please access the Device manager
                  1. Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type DEVICE MANAGER in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
                  2.On the left-hand side of the System window, under Control Panel Home, click  Device Manager.
                  3.Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
                  4.Double-click your Intel(R) _________________ SATA AHCI Controller.
                  5.Navigate to the Driver tab of the controller properties window.
                  6.Select Uninstall.
                  7.Restart the system after the uninstall is complete.
                  8.After the system restarts and you've booted back into Windows, navigate back to Device Manager and ensure that under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, it is now Standard SATA AHCI Controller.

You can downnload the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from the dell website:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=MYJ0N

If the problem still persist with the Blue Screen, I do apologize but you may need to reinstall your Windows 10. A damaged windows is already the cause of the problem.

• 6. Re: Windows 10 BSOD iaStorB.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
                    Intel Corporation

Hello darh,

Thank you for your reply,

Based on the troubleshooting you have done and the recommendations provided by your OEM. The only recommendation that we can provide you to this point is to back up your information and to try to reinstall your OS. If at any point of this process your experience any kind of issue we advise you to contact Dell* one more time for guidance.

We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                    Intel Customer Support Technician