4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 10:06 PM by Intel Corporation

RHEL Server - Configure CPUFreq - scaling governors to performance

anand.desurkar

Hi,

The B200 M3 blade installed with RHEL and oracle RAC, DBA team is requesting to change the CPUfreq - scaling governors to performance and disable hyper-threading. The current system configuration is as below.

The system configuration details are as below

Server Hardware Details:

B200 M3 @ E5-26430@3.30GHz, 128 GB Memory, VIC 1240

OS Installed: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.9 (Santiago)

Oracle: Oracle 12c Enterprise Edition 12.1.0.2.0 – 64bit (RAC Database)

Operating Performance Points or P-states @ OS level

cpuinfo_max_freq: 3301000 KHz

cpuinfo_min_freq: 1200000 KHz

scaling_max_freq: 3301000 KHz

scaling_min_freq: 1200000 KHz

scaling_governor: ondemand

scaling_available_frequencies: 3301000 3300000 3100000 3000000 2800000 2700000 2500000 2400000 2200000 2100000 1900000 1800000 1600000 1500000 1300000 1200000

scaling_available_governors: ondemand userspace performance

As per RHEL documentation, once the system is configured with governors as "performance", power consumption and cooling requirements on that particular blade server changes, which in turn will impact on the power and cooling requirements for the chassis and RACK. We need to know it there are any know issues on server hardware, processor and its life-cycle on setting the CPUFreq governors policy to performance.

• 1. Re: RHEL Server - Configure CPUFreq - scaling governors to performance
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello anand.desurkar, 

Thank you for contacting us about this concern.

I was checking the information that you are looking for about to change the CPU frequency of scaling governors to performance and disable the Hyper-Threading as well. Due to the fact that you are using an Open Source Operating System (RHEL) it is possible to make those changes in the kernel of this Operating System, if you go to the directory /sys/bus/cpu/devices/cpu0/cpufreq you will find the information that you are looking for. On the other hand; in order to disable the Hyper-Threading I would like to inform you this is a feature that needs to be disabled from the BIOS Configuration of the Server Motherboard.

However, due to the fact that you have a Cisco B200 M3 Blade Server my best recommendation for you will be to contact the Server Board Manufacture in this scenario Cisco in order to request more assistance on those changes and see if it is possible and supported by the system this configuration that you are trying to implement. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O.  
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: RHEL Server - Configure CPUFreq - scaling governors to performance
            anand.desurkar

Hi Emeth O,

Thank you for responding to the query.

I am in line with your response on the implementation approach, we also understand the impact on hardware, power requirement and raise in temperature, as the system is designed to run workload upto its configured capacity, provided environmental aspects (power and coaling) are optimal. However we were looking forward to get better insight on hardware impact on configuring CPU frequency scaling governor policy.

The Cisco Blade B200 M3 is one of the blade servers in vBlock, we have engaged Dell VCE to look into the configuration requirement, current system behavior and its impact, they in-turn will engage Cisco (as needed), We will keep you posted on further updates

Regards,

Anand Desurkar

• 3. Re: RHEL Server - Configure CPUFreq - scaling governors to performance
              Intel Corporation

Hello, 

No problem, please let me know the outcome in order to clarify this information as well. 

If you have any other question regarding the processor of the Server System, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O. 

• 4. Re: RHEL Server - Configure CPUFreq - scaling governors to performance
                Intel Corporation

Hello, 

I would like to know if you have more information about it, or if you have any other question in order to assist you with. 

If so, please do not hesitate and let me know. I will be waiting your outcome in order to proceed with the next step. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O.