4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 5:54 PM by Nobody100

Temp concerns with i7-9700k

Nobody100

The CPU rapidly increases temperature to 101 before I halt benchmarks or stress tests. It does this in well less than a minute and I don't overclock.

The CPU cooler is rated for 130 watts TDP and the case is well ventilated and it is cool inside. I can touch the CPU cooler and it is cool to the touch even at the base where it comes in contact with the CPU.

I have removed the cooler and cleaned everything well. It appeared the thermal compound was as it should be. I then reinstalled the cooler with no effect. I've never had a CPU behave this way.

Does anyone have an idea on what may be wrong?

Is there a chance the CPU lid was not properly installed at the factory?

• 1. Re: Temp concerns with i7-9700k
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Nobody100

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
          Leonardo C.
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation
          • 2. Re: Temp concerns with i7-9700k
            Nobody100

I downloaded and began to run the diagnostics as requested but the CPU became way to hot very early on.

Would you like me to run the diagnostics anyway?

I'm not using the system at all right now.

Note: The Intel Tuning utility is what I use to watch the CPU temperature.

Thanks -

My hardware description:

Motherboard:

ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/AC

RAM:

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Storage:

SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB

WD Red 6TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM

Video:

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G

Power Supply:

SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2

CPU Cooler:

Enermax ETS-N30 II

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

** The cooler is going to be replaced by:

Noctua NH-D15

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

Hopefully by Friday

The mother board came with BIOS rev P 1.10 and was updated to 1.30

• 3. Re: Temp concerns with i7-9700k
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Nobody100

Thank you for the information.

Try loading default BIOS settings. and to test the system while ruing only one active core and all cores active (this has to be configured in the system BIOS if you need assistance to complete the configuration I recommend contacting the motherboard manufacturer https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp).   

Please complete the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test with both configurations (one active core and all cores active) and attach the results as a TXT file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
              Leonardo C.
              Intel Customer Support Technician
              Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 4. Re: Temp concerns with i7-9700k
                Nobody100

The BIOS was always at it's defaults but I went into the BIOS and selected load defaults just for good measure.

The tests seemed to run find with only one active but it indicated very high temps within seconds when all were active.

Update: 12/06

I removed the CPU cooler for a second time to prepare the system for the new cooler.

After removing it I started to clean the Thermal grease off noticed something odd. It seems there may have been a mfg defect in the cooler.

One of the heat pipes looked as if it was not properly seated. After pressing on it I could see it was a bit loose and could possibly not sit completely flush with the top plate.

I hope the replacement cooler will arrive today and I'll post results once I have it installed.

Update #2 12/06:

The new CPU cooler did the trick. Nothing above 60 degrees during a 5 minute stress test. I know that's not long but I'm confident the problem is corrected now.

I've never seen that sort of defect in a cooler before.

Thank you for all of your time and effort - I'm sorry to have wasted your time on something that had nothing to do with the CPU itself.