3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 5:49 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC8i5BEH not displaying 10bit 4:2:0 YCbCr or up

roslein

Hello,

I have a NUC8I5BEH(Intel Iris HD 655) which have connected to Sony XBR55X900E HDR 4K TV.

This TV can display 4K 60hz 10bit 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 with enhanced HDMI input (HDMI 2,3) 

In Microsoft Windows 10, I can't get the display output to go to 60Hz 10 bit 4:2:0 or up.

The maximum it will do is 8 bit with dithering RGB in 60hz, 10 bit with dithering in 30hz. Intel Graphic Panel is not working RGB to YCBCR also.

What's wrong ?

My System Specification:

Board Version : NUC8IBEH J72692-303

BIOS Version : BECFL357.86A.0048.2018.0919.2013

OS Version : Windows 10 Pro 64 bit release 1809

System Memory : 32GB 2400Mhz

Display : Sony XBR55X900E (4K, HDR, can display 60hz 10bit 4:4:4)

I have another PC which is 10 years old running in Microsoft Windows 7 with NVIDIA Geforce 8400M

Intel Iris HD 655 displays more blurred image compare with this old PC. (10 years!!, it's shame)

This is not cable issue. (I've tried several bandwidth HDMI cable up to HDMI 2.1)

This is not lastest driver or update issue. (I installed 24.20.100.6287 in Windows Driver Update, but this verseion is unstable. Intel graphic panel is not running with this version, so i rollback to 24.20.100.6286)

I regret buying NUC. NUC is small and vesa compatible PC, so I think it is useful home media player with TV. But graphic capablility is very disappointing.

Regards,

• 1. Re: NUC8i5BEH not displaying 10bit 4:2:0 YCbCr or up
          N.Scott.Pearson

Note the following (from HDMI.ORG's HDMI 2.0 FAQ):

What are the 4K formats supported by HDMI 2.0?

8bit

10bit

12bit

16bit

4K@24

RGB

4:4:4

RGB

RGB

4:2:2

RGB

4K@25

4K@30

4K@50

RGB

4:2:0

4:2:2

4K@60

Bottom line, with an HDMI 2.0 connection (including 2.0a/b) -- and regardless of who's solution you are talking about -- you cannot get 10-Bit 4:4:4 (there simply isn't enough bandwidth on the cable).

While I am not saying that you haven't identified a legitimate issue, 95% of all reported issues have turned out to be cable/dongle/adapter issues. Right or wrong, this is why the automatic responses from ICS are going to be check/replace the cable and test without the dongle/adapter...

Just saying,

...S

• 2. Re: NUC8i5BEH not displaying 10bit 4:2:0 YCbCr or up
            roslein

Thank you for boring orange table,

My original question is not that why NUC can’t displays 10bit 4K 60fps 4:4:4 color depth under HDMI 2.0 circumstances.

I tried certified HDMI 2.0 cable, even tried HDMI 2.1(seller insist 48Gbps bandwidth) cable. After serial failure, I installed Windows 10 again under pure HDMI 2.0 circumstances (3ft length).
            But displays only 30hz 10bit or 60hz 8bit.

NUC should display 4K 30fps 10bit 4:4:4 (11.13Gbps) at least or 4K 60fps 10bit 4:2:2(17.82Gbs) at most if driver works properly under pure HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps)

I wish new working driver is under developing so I see fine displaying of NUC output.

HDMI specifications are general information. No more orange table and shring your smart experience like as using thunderbolt to HDMI active adoptor or USB-C to HDMI adoptor.

regards,

• 3. Re: NUC8i5BEH not displaying 10bit 4:2:0 YCbCr or up
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello roslein

If you are still having the issues reported on this thread, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600
              2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
              3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

To attach a file, you must click “Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Wanner G.
              Intel Customer Support Technician
              Under Contract to Intel Corporation