5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2018 5:02 PM by Intel Corporation

Need to improve performance in Xeon E5-2699 v4

Balaji95

Hello,

Am using Xeon E5-2699 v4  processor in  my machine. For  the programs that I am executing in the machine, seems like the processor is not fast enough to perform the required ops.

Please suggest, how do I increase the performance of the processor?

Do I need to make any changes in BIOS?

Do I need to enable Intel® Turbo Boost Technology? If yes, let me know how.

Any alternate options to boost the performance?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Need to improve performance in Xeon E5-2699 v4
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Balaji95, 

Thank you so much for contacting us about this concern. 

Could you please so kind and provide us the SSU of your server system using the following tool: Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

On the other hand; do you have the BIOS Setting at default setting?

Do you have enable the Hyper-treading and Turbo Boost Technology feature on the server board? 

I will be waiting the outcome in order to proceed with the next step. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O. 
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Need to improve performance in Xeon E5-2699 v4
            Intel Corporation

Hello, 

I am following up this thread in order to see if you still need assistance on this. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O. 

• 3. Re: Need to improve performance in Xeon E5-2699 v4
              Balaji95

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I am unable to provide SSU of the server system. This system runs on l_ubuntu 16.04 so could not use the utility that you have provided.

BIOS setting is not at default. Some changes were done. We reverted those changes and found no change in the result.

Next, How can I enable Hyper-treading and Turbo Boost Technology? I have attached the BIOS guide (refer from section 4.2) of the mother-board that we are using..

Let me know which option that needs to be enabled in BIOS to enable HT and turbo-boost.

Looking forward to your reply.

• 4. Re: Need to improve performance in Xeon E5-2699 v4
                N.Scott.Pearson

You can download the Linux version of the tool here: Intel System Support Utility for Linux. Run the tool and attach the results file to a response post. Please do not paste the contents of the results file into your response. Use the Attach link in the lower right-hand corner of the edit window to attach the results file. If you do not see an Attach link in the lower-right-hand corner of the edit window, click on the Use Advanced Editor link in the upper right-hand corner of the edit window and the Attach link will then be made available.

ICS (and volunteers like me) will look at this results file and see if there are any recommendations that we can make regarding your configuration. As for your BIOS settings, this is not for us to comment on. If you do not understand how to configure it properly, then you need to contact the folks at Asus for help. It is their board and it is their BIOS and it is their manual; if it is poorly-written and not understandable, then it is their problem to deal with.

...S

• 5. Re: Need to improve performance in Xeon E5-2699 v4
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Balaji95, 

Thank you so much for your reply. 

As Scott already mentioned it will be very important to clarify those details of the BIOS Configuration with the Server Motherboard Manufacture in order to make sure that those features are comparable and enable. 

Please, if you have any other question let me help and I will be more than happy to assist you. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O.