2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 3:41 PM by Intel Corporation

Microcode update spectre 6850k

NWittje

Dear everyone,

I am currently fiddling with a problem regarding the multiplier on an i7 6850k after the latest Windows 10 update (1809). This update seems to deliver the current microcode updates for spectre-vulnerable cpus.

My problem is that my i7 6850k (06-4f-01) does not have an microcode update for spectre (checked with the lates linux update file) and so seems to be either unaffected or non-treated. That would be fine, except that after this update, I am no longer able to modify my multiplier, wether per bios or per the IETU, the multiplier just gets stuck in a weird state after boot (One core [core 2 for me] running at 40x, the rest at 38x).

I am operating on an Asus X99 Deluxe-II motherboard, bios rev. 1802. I tested also the newest bios build, 1902, which is supposed to be a beta against spectre vulnerabilities, but that just gets me stuck at 36x multiplier in bios, no longer changeable. Has anybody any idea why this is all happening to my CPU?

Best regards,

Niels

• 1. Re: Microcode update spectre 6850k
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello NWittje, 

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

We will do further research about this concern. We will get back to you soon.

Wanner G.
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Microcode update spectre 6850k
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello NWittje

For full details on Security Vulnerabilities, please refer to this Intel public website.

End users and systems administrators should check with their operating system vendors and system manufacturers, and apply any available updates as soon as they are available. You should do this whether you use an Intel-based system, or other computer or mobile device. We recommend contacting your system manufacturer for further support.

It is worth mentioning that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components. It may also void the warranty of your processor. 

Wanner G.
            Intel Customer Support Technician
            Under Contract to Intel Corporation