6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 5:30 PM by Intel Corporation

Weird functionality of RS2WC040 RAID board

T.J.

Salutations!

My name is Jan and I have tampered with small servers for a few years, configuring small Intel, DELL, HP servers.

This particular one is an old server, Intel based, it has RS2WC040 RAID board with 3 70Gb SAS SCSI HDDs Seagate 15.5K rpm in RAID5. On this RAID5 there is a Windows Server 2003 installed.

In the Ctrl+G menu I see the Virtual Drive but it's offline with HDD0 not present/recognised and HDD2 Failed. The only HDD in the green is HDD1 as presented in photo.

I checked and HDD0 is spinning, I ejected it and mounted in bay 4 checking cabling and although it is powered it does not get recognised.

From my understanding having a RAID5 with 2 drives failed results in total LOSS... yet I would like to give it a shot to try and recover data but I am willing to wait for proper instructions is any, before attempting other tries.

Thank you in advance, Jan.20181124_181954.jpg

P.S.: is there a professional recovery service to recover data from these drives and actually get the setup in a working order to have data saved ?

• 1. Re: Weird functionality of RS2WC040 RAID board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello T.J.,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Seems like both drives (HDD0 and HDD2) are failed rendering the RAID not recoverable now. As a very last resource you can try the following:
          1. Shutdown the server
          2. Extract all HDDs
          3. Restart server and get into RAID BIOS and delete any previous RAID configuration (with HDDs not in the server) and save configuration
          4. Shutdown the server
          5. Reinsert HDDs
          6. Restart server and cccess RAID BIOS and recreate RAID 5 volume, make sure to NOT initialize the volume. At this point you should be able to see a prompt message telling you there is a foreign configuration found. Select recover and hopefully the original RAID will be found.

If the previous doesn't work then the RAID is not recoverable by regular means.

It this is the case then you could try to contact a professional data recovery company but unfortunately for our policies I cannot recommend any in this post. You will need to do a search and find the option that best suits your needs.

Hope this helps

Jose A.
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Weird functionality of RS2WC040 RAID board
            T.J.

Salutations and thank you for your swift reply. I would like to know if your suggestion would actually corrupt data when trying to recover/rebuild the original RAID. Also, how can I make sure I find which of the failed HDDs was working when it finally failed (when the whole virtual drive was marked inactive) because if I find that then I will only try to rebuild from the last 2 working drives since these red marked drives almost certainly did not die at the right exact moment.

• 3. Re: Weird functionality of RS2WC040 RAID board
              Intel Corporation

Hello T.J.,

The data is stored in the HDD that is the reason why we ask to take all HDDs out before deleting any previous configuration. What you will be deleting will be the configuration saved on the RAID controller. Even thou there is always a risk of data lost when managing RAID volumes.

About knowing which HDD failed last this probably could be gathered using the StorCLI tool. You can try it but chances are it might not work due to the fact that multiple HDDs are failed by now

Jose A.

• 4. Re: Weird functionality of RS2WC040 RAID board
                Intel Corporation

Hello T.J.,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.

• 5. Re: Weird functionality of RS2WC040 RAID board
                  T.J.

Hello again!

It was a good advice to not rebuild RAID because both of the failed HDDs were actually BAD so it would've resulted in corrupted data. At this point I used cmdtool2 to extract a log to make sure I know exactly which HDD failed last (again, I have HDD1 100% healthy, HDD0 missing/unrecognised and HDD2 recognised but failed) and concluded that HDD2 was the last to fail on 22nd of november. I sent the drives to a data recovery company, they just confirmed that data was recoverable, I am waiting for the outcome. Thank you for your provided support, Jan.

• 6. Re: Weird functionality of RS2WC040 RAID board
                    Intel Corporation

Hello T.J.,

I am glad to be a little helpful. I will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions please create a new topic.

Jose A.