10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 2:27 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow

rishisood

Hi,

I bought a dell precision 5530 which has the intel wireless ac 9260 installed. The wifi speeds on the adapter are very slow sometimes topping off at only 8MBps whereas my latitude e7420 with the intel dual band wirelessac 7260 has speeds of 100MBps. I use the netgear router wn614. I have the latest driver from your website installed am not being able to figure out what the issue is and what is causing the slow download speeds. Please help

• 1. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello rishisood

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

Performance issues can be caused by driver/settings corruption or outdated operating system. We would like to take a look at your system configuration to better address this issue. 

A. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600
          2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
          3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

To attach a file, you must click “Use Advanced Editor” on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the “attach” option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

B. Also, do you have the latest firmware in the router?
          **Note: Is this your wireless router? WNR614

Wanner G.
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 2. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
            rishisood

Hi Wanner,

I checked the router firmware and it is up to date. Have attached the scan log to this reply.

Thanks

Rishi

• 3. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
              Intel Corporation

Hello rishisood,

Thank you for your response.

First, we recommend installing the latest wireless driver provided by your system manufacturer. Based on the report attached, there is a newer driver version that you can try. 

Drivers & downloads
              20.60.1 ,A04

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please confirm the system model and OS.

Wanner G.

• 4. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
                rishisood

Hi

The driver that you have recommended is a bluetooth wireless driver.I have installed the same and the speeds still remain the same.

My system is the Precision 5530 with windows 10 enterprise 64 bit installed (version 1709 - OS build 16299.194).

Thanks

Rishi

• 5. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
                  rishisood

Hi

The driver that you have recommended is a bluetooth wireless driver.I have installed the same and the speeds still remain the same.

My system is the Precision 5530 with windows 10 enterprise 64 bit installed (version 1709 - OS build 16299.194).

I just observed another thing, the wifi just disconnects for a couple of seconds and then connects again. This is happening regularly.

Thanks

Rishi

• 6. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
                    Intel Corporation

Hello rishisood,

Thank you for pointing out the wrong driver. Were you able to install the latest wireless driver from the same support website?

If the issue still persists using the latest wireless driver provided by your system manufacturer, try performing a clean install with the latest Intel driver:

For Intel® Wireless-AC 9260
                    Version: 20.90.0 (Latest)

Then, you can use the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

**Note: We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes.  Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging.  To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Wanner G.

• 7. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
                      rishisood

Hi Wanner,

I completed the clean install and used the recommended settings for 802.11ac Connectivity. The download speeds are marginally better but still not close to the speeds i get on my latitude system.

I was looking at the network properties and found that under wifi the link speed is only 54Mbps (screenshot attached). Where can i make this 300Mbps.

Thanks

Rishi

• 8. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
                        rishisood

Hi Wanner,

I was looking at the event viewer and found the following errors:

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260

Interface GUID: {d9ef3c82-c819-4594-9727-282f22ba00a0}

Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile

Profile Name: RISIRI-YOU

SSID: RISIRI-YOU

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Failure Reason:The driver disconnected.

RSSI: -69

and

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260

Interface GUID: {d9ef3c82-c819-4594-9727-282f22ba00a0}

Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile

Profile Name: RISIRI-YOU

SSID: RISIRI-YOU

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Failure Reason:The driver disconnected while associating.

RSSI: 255

• 9. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
                          Intel Corporation

Hello rishisood,

Thank you for your response.

While the wireless adapter on your computer supports 802.11ac standard, the WNR614 supports the 802.11n standard. This difference in hardware can affect the performance of your download speeds.

A. In Device Manager, try changing the 802.11n/ac Wireless Mode to HT=High=802.11n.
                          B. Is your access point (AP) or Wi-Fi router for 11n mode?
                          C. Set the adapter to Maximum Performance.

Wanner G.

• 10. Re: Intel wirless ac 9260 download speeds are very slow
                            Intel Corporation

Hello rishisood,

Were you able to verify the steps provided above?

Wanner G.