6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 3:34 PM by iggyb9

Intel i9-9900K Package Loading Specifications/Heatsink Torque Question

iggyb9

Hi all,

I have recently built a new system from the ground up using the i9-9900K and the NZXT X62 280mm AIO cooler.

I wanted to understand if anyone can advise how much torque needs to be applied to the heatsink and pump thumbscrews to stay within processor specifications?

I consulted with the i9-9900K datasheet:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/8th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

This datasheet is original for the 8th gen processors but the page title clearly shows "8th and 9th Generation...." so I assume it applies.

Table 8-2 under section 8-2 shows nothing for S-Processor line (per table 8-1, the i9-9900k more closely aligns to the S-Processor Line given the core and pin count specified in the table). There are however two values for the H-Processor line:

- 67 N (15 lbf)

- 111 N (25 lbf)

Obviously, these units are Newtons and NOT Newton meters so I'm not sure how they're supposed to apply for application of torque to a heatsink. I'm obviously misunderstanding the intent of the section...

Does anyone know what is the safe Nm to apply to a heatstink in order to ensure proper contact with the IHS? I would like to use the torque wrench to avoid any doubt.

Cheers,

Igor