1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2018 4:56 AM by Intel Corporation

BMC Console not sending Traps

jaimep

Hello there.

We have a few servers with S2600GZ and we are trying to get traps for the baseboard alarms, the trap receivers have been configured successfully and we see a trap arrives when we use the test alarms option (trap is not aligned with eh basebrdv5 MIBs, we find out it is in PET format and managed to work around it), however, during testing it has been observed that no traps are been received for the tested scenarios: removing power supply and rebooting the server, in both cases only one trap is received "OEM System Boot" while under the event log it is observed multiple events about the tested scenarios, will appreciate your help with the following questions:

- Apart from the below configuration, is anything else required to make sure alarm traps are sent to the SNMP destinations?

- From the "events that will trigger alerts", can you please confirm if the tests performed (power supply disconnection and server reboot) will generate alarms?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Jaime,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

I understand that you are looking to capture the logs from the BMC.

I will appreciate if you can check Intel® SNMP Subagent Stand-Alone Intel® Server Management Utility which can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26989/Intel-SNMP-Subagent-Stand-Alone-Intel-Server-Management-Utility
          The downloaded .zip file contains a Linux_Subagent\mibs folder and there you can find the basebrd7_v5.mib file.

If you have any question, please let me know.

Best regards,
          Jeremiah A.

• 2. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
            jaimep

Hi Jeremiah.

Thanks for the answer, however that is the first thing we have done, the system doesn't send anything according to the basebrd7_v5 MIB, and after doing some research we found that the only couple of traps we were able to see are in PET format "Wired for management" and working based on that.

Anyway, the issue is that traps are not even leaving the server, even after performing reboots or playing with the power supplies.

Is there any specific configuration required to enable the BMC to send the traps in basebrd7_v5 format?.

Regards.

Jaime.

• 3. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
              Intel Corporation

Hello Jaime,

Thank you for your update.

Let me investigate and get back to you as soon as possible with new information.

Regards,
              Jeremiah A.

• 4. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                Intel Corporation

Hello Jaime,

I hope you are doing well today.

Can you please confirm the following:

- What are you using to capture the traps. 
                - Can you run the tests and have the traps send via email configuration?

If you have any question please let me know.

Regards,
                Jeremiah A.

• 5. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                  jaimep

Hi Jeremiah.

Thanks for following up on this.

We are using iReasoning MIB browser, and also capturing packets via Wireshark.

Cannot test using the email setting, the system is isolated and doesn't have access to any SMTP server.

Cheers.

Jaime.

• 6. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Jaime,

I will check on this and get back to you as soon as possible with new info.

Your patiance is highly appreciated.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremiah A.

• 7. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Jaime,

Is it possible to try the our Intel® Active System Console for Intel® Server Boards and Systems based, instead of the iReasoning MIB browser?

The Intel® Active System Console for Intel® Server Boards and Systems based.is a simple, lightweight web application console that gives you a dashboard view of  the Server hardware on which it is running. It helps you proactively monitor the health of the server board, allows remote configuration of the Server, tracking of assets, alerting of any issues and generation of asset reports.
                      You can download the application from here.
                      User guide you can download it from here.

If you have any question, please let me know.

Regards,
                      Jeremiah A.

• 8. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                        jaimep

Hi Jeremiah.

The IASCI is not compatible with our servers, we are using S2600GZ based servers, also the problem is not the MIB browser, since it is used only to receive the traps, note the expected traps cannot be seen either when sniffing the traffic coming out the BMC console (RMM).

Please note, what we are trying to do is to get the alarms from the BMC Console (RMM) via SNMP traps, we have been able to receive a couple of traps, but we are having issues with others, i.e. power supply redundancy, meaning when a PS is disconnected there should be an alarm corresponding with the event, currently we can only see the event under the "Event log", but there is no alarm for it.

One of our colleges has found some information that mention that sometimes it will be required to enable the PEF alarms, have you heard about this?

Thanks. 

Jaime.

• 9. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Jaime, 

The version 8.0 of the IASCI does support your SB. You can confirm this here.

I will go ahead and investigate about the PEF alarms. I will get back to you as soon as  possible with  new information.

Regards,
                          Jeremiah A.

• 10. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                            jaimep

Hi Jeremiah.

Today we have performed further testing with the PSU redundancy, after re-configuring the alarms section (Capture attached) and power-cycling the server so the RMM/BMC module is reset, however we didn't had any success, please find below more details:

- Testing started around 00:45 UTC: The alarm configuration was saved and both PSUs where disconnected, the server stay powered off for a couple of minutes and then power was restored, server came up around 00:53 UTC --> No power related alarms were seen in the SNMP receiver , the only traps received where what seems to be related to the System Boot "Specific-trap: 1208065"

- Once the server was back PSU redundancy was tested again multiple times with no success at 00:55 UTC and at 01:02 UTC.

In all the cases there are PSU events registered in the BMC console but only the "Specific-trap: 1208065" was received after the initial power-cycle.

Attached a copy of the logs from the BMC console, as well as the wireshark capture during the whole activity (RMM IP is 10.194.218.215 and the trap receiver IP is 10.194.218.221)

I hope it helps with the investigation.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards.

Jaime   

• 11. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Jaime,

I'm looking in to this, and as soon as I get new information I will contact you immediately.

Your patience is highly appreciated.

Regards,
                              Jeremiah A.

• 12. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                                Intel Corporation

Hi Jaime,

Where you to download the IASC for testing with this SB? The version I mentioned in my last post does support your SB.

Regards,
                                Jeremiah A.

• 13. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                                  jaimep

Hi Jeremiah.

We couldn’t installed it, we are currently runing Centos 6.5, anyway it uses the BMC for alerting which is exactly what we are having problems with (see screen capture from the IASC document), any luck with the reason why we are not able to get alarms for the PSU? is there any PEF rule that need to be enabled? What are the default alarms configured with any out of the box server?

thanks.

Jaime

• 14. Re: BMC Console not sending Traps
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello jaimep,
                                    We are working on answering your questions and will get back with you as soon as possible.
                                    Thank you,
                                    Franklin S.
                                    Intel Customer Support Technician
                                    Under Contract to Intel Corporation

1 2 Previous Next