12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 2:39 PM by Intel Corporation

Often lose setting of the BIOS!

moyanming

Hi all,

STK2M364CC,

My BIOS version: CCSKLm30.86A.0053.2017.1123.1932

I set the Power State from the "Always ON" to the "Always OFF" in the BIOS, but sometimes later, e.g. re-power several times in 10 days, this setting return back to the "Always ON".

The OS is Windows 10 64bit.
      How to fix this problem?

Best regards.

QQ截图20181107184654.jpg

• 1. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello moyanming

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.  

Hope this helps.

Regards,
          Leonardo C.
          Intel Customer Support Technician
          Under Contract to Intel Corporation
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
            moyanming

Hi Leonardo C.

Thank you for your answers!

• How often is this behavior happening?

*** We have 20 STK2M364CC Intel Computer Sticks, about 3~8 of those are often lose BIOS settings.

Some of them lose settings in 1 day, some of them lost settings in 5~10 days.

• Is the Intel® compute stick facing power loses often?

*** The power of the stick will shut down and power on 3 times a day at least.

BTW, we often shut down the power by unplug the power adapter but may not shut down the Windows 10 OS first.

• Do you have a battery backup (UPS)?

*** No, we are not use a battery backup (UPS), we are only use the power adapter.

• Is this the only setting that is being changed?

*** No, we also set the Fan Mode to the M2 and the Fan Mode is back to the M1 after lose settings, this is seems as Power State.

• Is the system losing the Date and time?

*** I am not sure the Date and time, and I will concern of this.

• I would recommend updating the BIOS to the V 0058 (Latest), update BIOS incrementally without skipping any version.

*** You mean I should update the BIOS form V0053 to V0054 first, and then update to V0056, V0057 and V0058 one by one?

But why can't skip the version?

Best regards.

• 3. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
              Intel Corporation

Hello moyanming

Thank you for the information.

• The power of the stick will shut down and power on about 3 times a day at least. BTW, we often shut down the power by unplugging the power adapter but may not shut down the Windows 10 OS first. 

• This is not a good practice to perform a hard shut down on the stick which is what the customer is doing. This may damage the BIOS and OS depending on what the stick is doing when this occurs.
                •  
                • Are there units having this issue in the ones that are not being forced a shutdown?
              •  Am not sure the Date and time, and I will concern of this.

• If the BIOS is losing the Date and Time, the issue is probably the CMOS/RTC battery failing. If the BIOS is not losing the Date and Time, this issue may be occurring due to the hard shutdowns. 
              • You mean I should update the BIOS form V0053 to V0054 first, and then update to V0056, V0057, and V0058 one by one? But why can't skip the version?

• Yes, it is recommended to update the BIOS incrementally in case there are updates that require a previous update to work. I recommend only updating one or two of the sticks experiencing the issue for testing purposes. No need at this time to update the BIOS on all of the sticks. 
              Regards,
              Leonardo C.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                moyanming

Hi Leonardo C.

Thank you for your answers!

Are there units having this issue in the ones that are not being forced a shutdown?

*** Yes, some units do lose settings even shut down the Windows 10 OS first before unplug the power adapter.

What do you mean the "hard shut down on the stick"?

If we shut down the Windows 10 OS completely first, and then, unplug the power adapter, is this mean "a hard shut down on the stick"? Otherwise, it seems that we must never shut down the power of the stick! We can't force our custom do that. So, it is important that there should be added some strategy that must make sure the BIOS should be stable after set by ourselves! Add a back up option to the BIOS will be a very good way for this. Could you please add a back up option recently?

Best regards.

• 5. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                  Intel Corporation

Hello moyanming

A hard or forced shutdown is when you just pull the power to the Intel® Compute Stick without using Windows to shut down the unit. We asked about this because you mentioned: "BTW, we often shut down the power by unplug the power adapter but may not shut down the Windows 10 OS first."

Additionally, if the unit experiences any power issues, such as power loss, power spikes or drops, dirty power, etc., we recommend using a good power strip or even better, a battery backup.

These types of power issues, like a hard or forced shutdown, are unhealthy for the unit over time and may actually reset the BIOS or corrupt drivers or the operating system.
                  Also, when you mention the BIOS is losing its settings, is the BIOS actually being reset to the BIOS defaults or just some settings are getting changed?

We recommend isolating some of the Intel® Compute Sticks to test them over a short period of time and not perform any hard or forced shutdowns to see if the issue persists.

Please let us know how it goes. Hope this helps.

Regards,
                  Leonardo C.

• 6. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                    Intel Corporation

Hello moyanming

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help.  If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,
                    Leonardo C.

• 7. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                      moyanming

Hi Leonardo C.,

Also, when you mention the BIOS is losing its settings, is the BIOS actually being reset to the BIOS defaults or just some settings are getting changed?

*** The BIOS is reset to the BIOS defaults after this issue occur.

We can't force our custom do the power things, e.g. take care of the shut down, take care of the unplug the power adapter, etc.

So, I think the good way for solve this problem is there should be add a back up option of the BIOS and we will update this back up version.

Or, could you please release one version of the BIOS with the Power state is Power Off as the default setting?

Best regards.

• 8. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                        Intel Corporation

Hello moyanming

We have already submitted your feedback to the product team from your other post, which we appreciate greatly.

Please refer to your other thread (https://communities.intel.com/thread/145348) for additional information. 

Regards,
                        Leonardo C.

• 9. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                          kineticm

I just experienced this on the STK1A32SC.

I had a unit deployed with a customer in a remote location.  It was working fine for her, but stopped working one day (I don't have visibility into what happened at the time it stopped working)

I sent the customer a new unit and when I received the original one back I discovered that the "Select Operating System" in the bios had been switched from "Windows 64-Bit" to "Windows 32-Bit".  When switched back, the compute stick booted into the OS again as it should.

I can say with certainty that the customer didn't make the change as they do not connect keyboards to the stick nor was there any evidence of problems within the OS or command line history to indicate anyone was playing around.

• 10. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                            Intel Corporation

Hello kineticm

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

• Please provide me with pictures of the BIOS changes that were found on the Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC.
                            • Do you have any information found on the Windows event viewer power issues or shut down error?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
                            Leonardo C.
                            • 11. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                              Intel Corporation

Hello kineticm

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help.  If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,
                              Leonardo C.

• 12. Re: Often lose setting of the BIOS!
                                Intel Corporation

Hello kineticm

Regards,
                                Leonardo C.