4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 8:18 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Processor Trace and Intel Last Branch Record

itshould87

Hello,

currently i am looking for a Server/Workstation Processors that supports both (at the same time) Intel Processor Trace and Intel Last Branch Record.

During my research i found the following information given in Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Developer's Manual: Vol. 3C (here)

Section 36.3.1 Detection of Intel Processor Trace and Capability Enumeration

Processor support for Intel Processor Trace is indicated by CPUID.(EAX=07H,ECX=0H):EBX[bit 25] = 1.

Section 36.3.1.2 Model Specific Capability Restrictions

Some processor generations impose restrictions that prevent use of LBRs/BTS/BTM/LERs when software has

enabled tracing with Intel Processor Trace.

For processor with CPUID DisplayFamily_DisplayModel signature of 06_3DH, 06_47H, 06_4EH, 06_4FH, 06_56H

and 06_5EH, the use of Intel PT and LBRs are mutually exclusive.

A nice overview of known Family Numbers is presented here.

Unfortunately, this article is 6 years old (even the latest response was written in 2015).

My question is now, which kind of Server/Workstation Processors does exactly support both?

The Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Developer's Manual: Vol. 3C does not include a list of processors capable of during both at the same time.

Greetings