1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 3:57 PM by Intel Corporation

NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows

George2005

As the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise GUI doesn't provide itself any detailed information about drives' health (e.g. S.M.A.R.T attributes). I have to use the external tools (e.g. SSD Toolbox, smartmontools, CrystalDiskoInfo etc.). There is no problem with the SATA based drives connected to PCH (even they are the RAID members) as such diagnostic data (including S.M.A.R.T attributes) are provided via the Common Storage Management Interface (CSMI) by Intel device driver.

However I've encountered with the problem in case of using NVMe SSD drives. Well, if such drives aren't members of RAID (i.e. VROC) the device driver provides the diagnostic data via the NVME Pass-Through protocol without problems. But if the NVMe drives are the members of VROC RAID (RAID1), the device driver supports the NVMe Pass-Through protocol for the first NVMe drive only (i.e. VMD port 3:0) - it behaves like the second drive doesn't exist at all! If I swap the NVMe drives in the M.2 slots so the previous second drive (i.e. in the VMD port 3:1 originally) has become the first drive (i.e. in the VMD port 3:0 now) the device driver again supports the NVMe Pass-Through protocol for such swapped NVMe drive connected to VMD port 3:0 only. So the problem is not caused by NVMe drives themselves.

I've done another test - On the same machine (based on C422/Basin Falls platform) I've tried to install RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7.5 which has the driver support for VROC. I've realised that there is no problem in the RHEL environment, actually! Both NVMe drives' diagnostic data are provided corectly via the NVMe Pass-Through protocol (using several tools like smartmontools, nvme-cli etc.). So the problem is not hardware based but it seems that's the issue of iRSTe/VROC driver for Windows. I've tested the latest version of iRSTe (v. 5.3.1.1020) both in Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and Windows 10 Enterprise x64 but the issue mentioned above still persists :-(

As the diagnostic data of the NVMe drives (like Temperature, Total Bytes Written, Media Wearout etc.) are vital for the drive's health management I would like to ask you very much to check and fix the problem of the NVMe  Pass-Through protocol to allow reporting the diagnostic data correctly for the all VROC RAID members (not only the first one).

Thank you very much

• 1. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello George2005,

Thanks for contacting the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) support forum, in regards to the situation where only the first drive of the RAID reports it's SMART details, we'll like that you please share some information of the platform where you're having this issue; specifically the following: 

• Motherboard Model and Manufacturer:
          • Processor Model:
          • Amount of RAM that you have installed:
          • Number of Storage devices and their capacity (SSDs and HDDs) on your machine:
          • The Drives are used in a RAID (0, 1, 5, 10) configuration?:
          If possible please attach us the LOG Files generated by RSTe, depending on your Windows Version they could be found in the C:\Users\[username]\Intel folder or also you can use the Email option on the RSTe GUI to generate a report for your equipment.

Once you've sent us that information we'll proceed with the necessary assistance and if you have additional details to your case or want to ask additional questions please don't hesitate to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Chris
          • 2. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
            George2005

Hi Chris,

thank you very much for your reply. I'm very sorry but I will be able to attach the RSTe Log Files after weekend because the machine is in my job's office and there is a holiday here.

But I can specify my platform just now:

Motherboard Model and Manufacturer: X11SRA-F by Supermicro, C422 Chipset, two M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 slots (identified as the ports of VMD PStack #2), VROC Standard Key inserted

Processor Model: Intel Xeon W-2133

Amount of RAM: 64 GB DDR4-2666 ECC

Number of Storage devices and their capacity (SSDs and HDDs): SSD - 2 pcs of the NVMe 512GB drives, HDD - 2 pcs of the SATA 750 GB drives

The Drives are used in a RAID: 1st RAID - RAID1 (VROC) with two NVMe SSD drives, 2nd RAID - RAID1 with two SATA HDD drives

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that there could be a problem of Windows VROC driver, actually - as I've written before there is no such problem with reporting the diagnostic data of both NVMe drives in RedHat Enterprise Linux 7.5 environment (via the NVMe Pass-Through protocol).

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

George

• 3. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
              Intel Corporation

Hello George2005,

Thanks for your reply and in regards to the situation that you're experiencing please allow us a brief time to investigate and we'll be back with you as soon as possible. 

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris

• 4. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                George2005

Hello,

I’ve tried to get the RSTe logs but without success. There is no RSTe related log in C:\Users\[username]\Intel\Logs (just some logs related to Intel ME only). I’ve tried to reinstall the RSTe as well as use different versions of it but with the same result – no RSTe logs, actually. I’ve even searched for it on the whole C drive but I’ve found nothing.

I’ve also tried to use e-mail to send such logs but there is a problem. Due the security reasons the network of my employer is behind the firewall with the outgoing blocked port no. 25 so we have to use local secure SMTP protocol with user authentication to send e-mails. Unfortunately there is no possibility to set such protocol & authentication data (like username & password) into RSTe settings so there is no possible to send logs by e-mail.

But as I’ve written before the problem is in the Windows environment only (I’ve tested both Windows 7 x64 Enterprise & Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 1803). There is no such problem in RedHat Enterprise Linux 7.5 environment running at exactly the same machine, actually. Please see the attached screenshots:

1. WIN.png: There is only one VROC RAID1 member detected by Windows SmartCtl utility (as well as by any other Windows utilities like HWInfo64 etc.). It’s the only NVMe device reported as „/dev/nvme0“ so the second VROC RAID1 member is not reported via the NVMe Pass-Through protocol and it’s not possible to get diagnostic data of such drive.
                2. RHEL.png: There are both VROC RAID1 members detected by Linux SmartCtl utility (as well as by any other Linux utilities like nvme-cli etc.). Two NVMe devices are reported as „/dev/nvme0“ and „/dev/nvme1“ so the both VROC RAID1 members are reported via the NVMe Pass-Through protocol and it’s possible to get diagnostic data of both drives.

I would like to ask you to investigate the problem mentioned above and to fix the Windows VMD/VROC driver to report all VROC RAID members and provide the diagnostic data of such all NVMe devices via the NVMe Pass-Through protocol (i.e. like Linux/RHEL VMD/VROC driver).

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

• 5. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                  Intel Corporation

Hello George2005,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.  

We really appreciate your detailed feedback regarding your issue this had been addressed to the development department in order to be included in a future update of the driver and the software related to VROC.

This being said we recommend you to visit your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) website in your case Super Micro* for updates.

One more time thank you for the time that you took to test using different operating systems and for providing us the outcome on each of them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                  Intel Customer Support

• 6. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                    George2005

Hello,

thank you very much for your great news.

I'd highly appreciate the best effort of yours to find the solution of the problem so I'm looking forward to the new update which will fix the issue. Could I ask you when such update could be available?

Thanks again for all

Regards

• 7. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                      Intel Corporation

Hello George2005,

Thank you for your reply.

We do not have a specific release date for this software.

We advise you to get in contact with Super Micro this is because anytime that we have an update on our drivers we provide this first to the OEM in order for them to develop their own version that will be compatible with their customized software and products.

As soon this new driver version is available it will be accessible at downloadcenter.intel.com and at your OEM website.

We will appreciate your feedback regarding this release as soon as it is available for the public.

We hope you find this information useful.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                      Intel Customer Support

• 8. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                        George2005

OK, I will check the Super Micro website periodically until the new version is available.

Thanks again for your best support!

Regards

• 9. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                          Intel Corporation

Hello Geenie555.

Thank you for your reply; you are more than welcome. It has been a pleasure. We are glad to hear that you found the information helpful.

We would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case.

If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                          Intel Customer Support.

• 10. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                            Intel Corporation

Hello George2005,

Thank you for your reply; you are more than welcome. It has been a pleasure. We are glad to hear that you found the information helpful.

We would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case.

If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                            Intel Customer Support.

• 11. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                              Intel Corporation

Hello George2005.

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.   

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                              Intel Customer Support.

• 12. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                                George2005

Hello,

OK, you can close this post. Although I've encountered with another possible bug of VROC driver I assume that I should create a new post for it, don't I?

Thank you very much for your best support!

Regards

• 13. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello George2005.

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question:

“I've encountered with another possible bug of VROC driver I assume that I should create a new post for it, don't I?”

If your inquiry is completely unrelated to the issue you reported on this post we will suggest you create a new post in order to only focus on this new discovery.

We hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Josh B.
                                  Intel Customer Support Technician
                                  Under Contract to Intel Corporation

• 14. Re: NVMe Pass-Through problem for VROC members in Windows
                                    George2005

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

Well, I've posted the another issue of VROC driver as the separate thread here: Windows VROC driver destroys RAID1 VROC array when the VMD technology is disabled in Setup

Regards,

1 2 3 Previous Next